Tuesday 5 May 2015

My Time in the Affair: Stylo Fantome



Blurb:

I made a conscious decision to cheat on my husband.

Now, before you judge me, hear my story. Hear how much I'm like you, how similar my thoughts are to your own. Yes, I'm a horrible person. Yes, I've done horrible things. Yes, I don't deserve forgiveness. Yes, bad things happened because of my actions.

But I'm willing to bet I've done things that maybe, just maybe, you have thought of doing.

Maybe, just maybe, you're not as innocent as you'd like to think.

Or maybe I'm not so guilty ...

Review: 4 Stars

I kind of expected that this book would be about an affair that would be easy to forgive because of the husband's abusive/absent behaviour (or something along those lines).  Instead, the husband is actually   a decent guy.  So, it's less black and white.

At first I didn't like Tal.  Appearance wise - tall, dark, former Israeli army guy -- loved him.  But, personality wise, not so much.  He was pushy, slutty, and purposefully pursuing a married woman.
Then, things became not so black and white again -- he started to develop feelings for Mischa and actually became a good guy.  Though, I will say that his POV early on in the story didn't seem to match with the information we learn later on in the book (in terms of how he felt about Mischa from the beginning).

I think the author does a good job of writing a compelling novel, while taking on the challenge of writing about an affair that is not easy to excuse.  I've read books where the affair doesn't really register as such because the husband (being cheated on) is so miserable that you want him to hurt.  That's not the case here.





No comments:

Post a Comment