Monday 1 June 2015

Beautiful Sacrifice: Jamie McGuire


Blurb

Falyn Fairchild can walk away from anything. Having already left her car, her education, and even her parents, the daughter of the next governor of Colorado is back in her hometown, broke and waiting tables for the Bucksaw Café. After every shift, Falyn adds to her shoebox of cash, hoping to one day save enough to buy her a plane ticket to the only place she can find forgiveness: Eakins, Illinois.

The moment Taylor Maddox is seated in Falyn’s section at the Bucksaw, she knows he’s trouble. Taylor is charming, breaks promises, and gorgeous even when covered in filth—making him everything Falyn believes a hotshot firefighter to be. Falyn isn’t interested in becoming another statistic, and for a Maddox boy, a disinterested girl is the ultimate challenge.

Once Falyn learns where Taylor calls home, everything changes. In the end, Maddox persistence is met with Falyn’s talent for leaving, and for the first time, Taylor may be the one to get burned.

Review: 'Who the Fuck Knows How Many' Stars

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Ahh - hell to the no!  I should be sleeping after staying up all night to read the most recent book in the Maddox Brother's series, but I am too pissed off.  Usually, I highlight phrases that stick with me; thoughts that make me view the world a little bit differently or romantic phrases that touch my heart.  This time, I highlighted phrases that pissed me off.  Phrases I wanted to debate over and tell off who ever was thinking (or writing) them.

I have some distinct pet peeves when reading books, which automatically turn me off of the main characters.  Here are some of the most common ones:

- Women that are doormats.  Sometimes that start off being sharp, no nonsense types and turn into doormats when it really counts.  Other times, they are just pathetic from the beginning.   I'm a fairly quiet person.  But, turn the asshole on (particularly misogynistic or discriminatory behaviour) and any shyness on my part goes out the door; I am ready for a fight.

- Women who blame themselves for their partner's inappropriate behaviour.  True, this is linked to the first pet peeve, but it deserves mention on its own.  Trying to justify why it is okay that you are being treated poorly is just lame and, if not done with caution, is a socially irresponsible message to send to female readers.

- MC who forgive and forget way too quickly.  It's a good thing I am not anyone's inspiration for a heroine in these books because the relationship would probably be over by the mid-point in about 75% of the books I read.  But, I can accept that I'm not very forgiving and that others are more forgiving.  But, if the person you're with has transgressed in a significant way, time apart, a serious re-evaluation of the relationship and, if staying together, some lengthy grovelling is needed for me to accept it.

- Cheating on the heroine.  OK, I'll admit, I am a total hypocrite in this regard.  I will read books when the female lead is cheating on her significant other.  But, when the narrator or main character of the book is cheated on, it pisses me off royally.  I end up feeling physically ill.

This book pretty much hit all of these pet peeves.  Sure, it's not the first time that a Maddox brother has cheated (or flaunted other women in front of the heroine).  But, to find out that Taylor cheated and then sleep in the same bed, I can't even imagine.  What type of fucking bullshit was it for Taylor to think that they were broken up and he could sleep with someone else?  He was texting his love for Falyn every day.  I braced myself for this from the start of the book because Taylor's cheating was mentioned in the second book in the series.  But, that didn't help.  It still makes me ill to write about it.  He was so drunk he didn't even know if he used protection.  Ahh - I'm having hot flashes of anger now.  I need to stop writing before I start breaking shit.

But, the worst part is when Falyn blames herself.  Maybe her approach to having Taylor think about whether he was truly okay with not having children could have been nuanced.  But, it's an entirely reasonable conversation to have before moving in with someone.  There is no reason that the time they took apart would justify Falyn feeling like she screwed things up or that it would remotely justify Taylor's behaviour.  If it were me, I would have packed my suitcase and caught the first flight out.  Done.

Then the woman Taylor cheated with shows up pregnant.  Well, I guess that pretty much answers the whole "did you use protection" question.  Particularly with Falyn's medical condition, this is like adding salt (or something far more acidic) to an already gaping wound.  Then, apparently, Falyn feels like she failed Taylor for a second time because she walked away from him.  Fuck, even her friends blame her for being unreasonable because Taylor was willing to be childless for her, why can't she be with him and his child.  WTF kind of logic is that?  Being childless doesn't involve accepting infidelity.  The two are entirely different.

So, I don't even know how to rate this book.  The writing is about par with the others in the series.  To me, Taylor feels like a similar character to Trenton.  I like how the same events are told from different   perspectives.  But, the whole cheating/forgiving/baby fiasco ruined this book for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment