Wednesday 24 June 2015

Bright Side: Kim Holden


Blurb

Secrets. 
Everyone has one. 
Some are bigger than others. 
And when secrets are revealed, 
Some will heal you ... 
And some will end you. 

Kate Sedgwick’s life has been anything but typical. She’s endured hardship and tragedy, but throughout it all she remains happy and optimistic (there’s a reason her best friend Gus calls her Bright Side). Kate is strong-willed, funny, smart, and musically gifted. She’s also never believed in love. So when Kate leaves San Diego to attend college in the small town of Grant, Minnesota, the last thing she expects is to fall in love with Keller Banks. 

They both feel it. 
But they each have a reason to fight it. 
They each have a secret. 

And when secrets are revealed, 
Some will heal you … 
And some will end you. 


Review: 5 Stars

Woah...Book hangover.  I don't think I've ever cried so much reading a book.  Literally, I cried for about 2 hours last night and then (embarrassingly) I cried in the car today thinking about this book.  I'm probably going to cry writing this review.  It would be so much easier if I were a 'slow subtle tears' kind of crier rather than a 'bawl into my kleenex' type.

I often feel conflicted about reading books that have high ratings, but reviews that talk about being shattered by the book.  It is a talent to create characters that you care so much about that your heart breaks for them.  The characters' experiences become so important to you that you imagine the equivalent happening in your own life and...long story short...tears and book hangovers are the end product.

Kate (Bright Side) captured everyone's heart by being the type of person that you just connect with, combined with being charismatic, positive, open, giving and basically everything you would want to be in life.  Sometimes  I meet people that are so awesome, my (perhaps) pessimistic mind worries that something/someone so great can't last.  It feels like the other shoe is bound to drop at some point and I have to guard myself because the plunge is going to hurt.  The plunge hurts in this book.  But, I can't regret reading the book because the sadness of it is proportional to my love for the relationships Kate develops with Kellar, Gus and the rest of her circle of loved ones.

I truly loved Gus and Kellar as well.  We should all be so lucky to have such amazing people in our lives.

Don't let the cover deter you -- this is an awesome book.  A tough, emotional read.  But, worth it, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment