Monday 13 April 2015

Neanderthal Seeks Human: Penny Reid


Blurb:

There are three things you need to know about Janie Morris: 1) She is incapable of engaging in a conversation without volunteering TMTI (Too Much Trivial Information), especially when she is unnerved, 2) No one unnerves her more than Quinn Sullivan, and 3) She doesn't know how to knit.

After losing her boyfriend, apartment, and job in the same day, Janie Morris can't help wondering what new torment fate has in store. To her utter mortification, Quinn Sullivan- aka Sir McHotpants- witnesses it all then keeps turning up like a pair of shoes you lust after but can't afford. The last thing she expects is for Quinn- the focus of her slightly, albeit harmless, stalkerish tendencies- to make her an offer she can't refuse.

Review: 2.5 Stars

After reading the first instalment of the Elements of Chemistry, I was curious about what other "Geek Chic Lit" (a name I recently read for this genre) books Penny Reid had in her arsenal.  Neanderthal Seeks Human is a decent read.  Penny Reid does a good job of creating female characters who are highly intelligent, but socially awkward.  But it didn't really hit the mark for me. Quinn was too self-contained to elicit strong feelings.  Everything he is feeling is described by his eyes alone.  He often avoids directly answering a question.  So, trusting him is an issue.  Plus, I was left with a number of unanswered questions about what happened in the story.  I won't go into them here to avoid spoilers.  

My other main issue, which may not be a drawback for other readers, is that Penny Reid is light on the sex scenes.  I feel like there was a lot of angst leading up to the main characters getting together.  When they finally do, it's hardly described.  The description is abstract and then they wake up the next morning.   I felt a bit ripped off.

So, not sold on the writing style. Also not sold on the title.  I know where it comes from in the book, but the neanderthal/human aspect of the conversation didn't really resonate with me.  I may return to the series at some point in the future.  I do plan to keep up with the next instalments of Elements of Chemistry. 




No comments:

Post a Comment